Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Y Dave Y is offline

Default Extract Middle Initial from Name

Hello everyone,

I really appreciate your quick responses. I now have the formula working.
You guys are the best! Thank you very much.

"Dave Y" wrote:

Hello,

I have a list of names; some of which contain the fistname, middle initial,
and last name. The other names in the list are only first and last names. For
example: John T. Doe and John Doe. I need to extract the middle intial and
the period after the MI so that I end up with a list of names with just the
first name and last name. I have the formula below that will work
successfully to remove the "MI.":
=LEFT(B7,FIND(" ",B7))&RIGHT(B7,LEN(B7)-FIND(".",B7))
But when I try to wrap the above formula in an IF statement so that it will
state; "if the name in the cell contains a period then remove it and return
just the FN & LN; if there is no period then just return the name in the
cell. Here is the formula that I have tried to use to accomplish this:
=IF(FIND(B5,".")0,LEFT(B5,FIND(" ",B5))&RIGHT(B5,LEN(B5)-FIND(".",B5)),B5)
Unfortunately I get a #VALUE error with this formula. I feel like I am close
but at this point am stumped on how to get past this error. Any help or
suggestions on how to accomplish my task will be greatly appreciated. Thank
you.

Dave