Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Problem with Linking Cells

You've probably got the cell formatted as text. Try formatting as General
or Number, then re-enter the formula.

While we're here, why are you using "+A3", and not "=A3"? This sounds like
a legacy from Lotus usage.
--
David Biddulph

"Rick" wrote in message
oups.com...
Often when I insert a row and link a cell from a preceding row by
keying "+cell" the result is "+Cellreference" and not the data or text
that I want to repeat. Example: there are 20 rows, at A3 there is
text "Department"or it may be a number like 1,000.00. I insert a row
at 18 then key "+A3", the result is often but not always "+A3" the
cell reference and not the data in A3. Even if I copy the original
data with the format painter and over write the cell reference it does
not change. But if I perform the same routine on a cell below row 20
I get the result I am looking for. What concept am I missing?

Rick