Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\) Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\) is offline

Default Extract first second "word" from a Cell..

The inner SUBSTITUTE replaces everything after the second blank space (the
two embedded FIND functions locate where that is) with an empty string and
the second SUBSTITUTE works on the value returned from that operation (which
is nothing more than your first two words) by replacing everything to the
left of and including the first blank space with and empty string.

Rick

"Leonhardtk" wrote in message
I tried it, and yes to both:

1. IT works!
2. IT Hurts! (I've no clue how this one works!

KSL.

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

I need to extract the second "word" from a Cell.

=MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1)-FIND(" ",A1)-1)

Perfect. I finally figured out how/why this works...and my brain
hurts!

If you like having your brain hurt, you might find this formula
entertaining<g...

=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND("
",A1)+1),1024),""),LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)),"")

Rick