Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stan Brown Stan Brown is offline

Default Slow startup

Mon, 9 Jul 2007 10:53:40 +0100 from Bill Ridgeway <info@
1001solutions.co.uk:
"Jack Gostl" wrote in message
I'm running Excel 2002 XP under WIndows XP SP2. When I open Excel, it
takes almost 45 seconds to start. By contrast, IE7 takes only 2-3 seconds.

I've covered the usual suspects. This is not a slow machine, the disk is
periodically defragmented and I've turned off most add ins. I'm open to
other suggestions.

Thanks

Do you have Norton Internet Security? This slows down Excel. if so you
will see a message (bottom left-hand corner) to the effect scanning for
viruses.

It's not just Norton. I have AVG Free, and I see "Running virus
scan..." in lower left when I open Excel or Word.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/