DazzaData

Use the find formula to tell you where the first space is. And the mid
formula to grab everything else to the right of that

i.e. to get Prof Stanley William Edward try

mid("Earles Prof Stanley William Edward" , Find(" ","Earles Prof Stanley
William Edward")+1,1000)

For Earles try

left( "Earles Prof Stanley William Edward",Find(" ","Earles Prof Stanley
William Edward") - 1)

Good luck

cheers

"christinab" wrote:

Hi,

I have data (names) which appear with Surname first, with all other names
after that. (all in one cell). For example:

Earles Prof Stanley William Edward

What I want to do, is split this so that the first word (in this case
"Earles" stays, and the rest is shifted into a new column.

Any ideas?

PS...I cant get Data, text to columns to work!