Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Special symbols in Excel worksheets?

A few more under wildcards, and some others under format - custom
formatting.

Pete

On Jul 7, 12:06 am, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:
A brief list of these symbols(operators) can be found in Help "about calculation
operators" and/or " types or operators"

The $ sign operation/meaning can be found under "absolute cell references"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 12:26:04 -0700, Leonhardtk

wrote:
You folks (that answer our dumb questions) are brilliant. Having said that,
many times the answer to a question ( the sample provided) includes some
strange symbols (such as --, or &, $$, etc). How can I find a list of these
symbols and whey they need to be used?

FOr example, when doing a COUNTIF with Dates I have to do:
=COUNTIF(a1:a50, "<" &DATE()-90)
but in IF,
=IF(a1:a50, < DATE()-90,Bad,Good)

NOt sure why I need quotes and & in COUNTIF but not in IF?

Thanks,

Kevin- Hide quoted text -