Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bj bj is offline

Default Need to find highs and lows formula and how-to

try with three helper columns
the first with the highs, the second with the lows
in the third try
=if(and(d3=d2,E3=E2),"", if(and(,D3="High",D3<D2,E3="Low",E3<E2),
"Both",if(and(D3="High",D3<D2)"High",if(and(E3="L ow",E3<E2),"Low",""))))
hide the first and second helper columnscolumns

"JRod" wrote:

After my original reply I was able to find highs and lows in two separate
test columns. Now I need to put those two columns into one column by
gathering the numbers from left to right, top to bottom. In other words, A1,
B1, A2, B2, A3, B3 and so on.

Perhaps you can help me with this to finish out my project here. When I
attempt to copy it skips rows.
--
JRod

"bj" wrote:

when is your rule of thumb not accurate?

try
use 2 helper columns (D:E?)
in D4 enter
=IF(NOT(OR(AND(B4B2,B4B3,B4B5,B4B6),AND(B4<A1, A3<B3,B4<B5,B4<B6))),D3,IF(AND(B4B2,B4B3,B4B5,B 4B6),"High",IF(AND(B4<B2,B4<B3,B4<B5,B4<B6),"Low" )))
in E4 enter
=if(d4<d3,d4,"")
copy d4 and E4 and paste down where you want them to go

"JRod" wrote:

I see a couple of similar questions already posted but they don't 100% help.
I have a list of currency data - similar to stock data. It shows highs and
lows during a specified period of time. It looks like this:

High Low
4/30/2007 6:00 1.9960 1.9951
4/30/2007 6:30 1.9954 1.9944
4/30/2007 7:00 1.9954 1.9942
4/30/2007 7:30 1.9954 1.9947
4/30/2007 8:00 1.9948 1.9923
4/30/2007 8:30 1.9966 1.9926
4/30/2007 9:00 1.9958 1.9921
4/30/2007 9:30 1.9940 1.9922
4/30/2007 10:00 1.9936 1.9902
4/30/2007 10:30 1.9912 1.9894
4/30/2007 11:00 1.9919 1.9891
4/30/2007 11:30 1.9936 1.9912
4/30/2007 12:00 1.9946 1.9929
4/30/2007 12:30 1.9948 1.9935
4/30/2007 13:00 1.9948 1.9928
4/30/2007 13:30 1.9935 1.9929
4/30/2007 14:00 1.9941 1.9925
4/30/2007 14:30 1.9968 1.9931
4/30/2007 15:00 1.9958 1.9944
4/30/2007 15:30 1.9968 1.9945
4/30/2007 16:00 1.9964 1.9953
4/30/2007 16:30 1.9998 1.9959
4/30/2007 17:00 2.0026 1.9991
4/30/2007 17:30 2.0029 1.9994

I am trying to find the first high, then the next low point, then the next
high and so on. If the market is moving down then this would be reversed. I
would find the low, then the next high, then the next low. I am not looking
for a daily high/low or just one high/low. I need to find high points and
low points as the market creates them.

To define high and low, typically it is a point higher and lower than the
previous two or next two time periods. This isn't always the case but is a
rule of thumb.

--
JRod