Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Excel Spreadsheet Manipulation

Hi Roger,

I don't understand. How come you posted before me, but your time says
10:44 when mine says 10:17 and it is only 10;20 now?

Pete

On Jul 6, 10:44 am, "Roger Govier"
wrote:
Hi

One way (work on a copy of your data, just in case you get something
wrong!!)

Insert a new column at B, so you have a blank column to the right of the
Name.
Mark column A, DataText to ColumnsDelimitedmark Comma as
DelimiterFinish.
Delete column B

Mark your range of data, DataFilterAdvanced FilterCopy to new
location and choose a column beyond the end of your existing dataclick
Unique values onlyFinish.
Delete the original columns

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Baffy" wrote in message

An Excel Spreadsheet is set up like this with hundreds of duplicate
names and
addresses:

Name Address City
Zip
Etc.
Smith, Joe 10 S. Oak
Smith, Mary 10 S. Oak

QUESTIONS:
1: How do I eliminate the comma and everything to the right of the
comma for
all records, i.e. ,Joe and , Mary.
2: How do I eliminate duplicate addresses.
My goal is to have one entry as follows:
Name Address
Smith 10 S. Oak
And eliminate duplicate addresses and first name leaving only one last
name
to each address. Can it be done?- Hide quoted text -