Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bec[_3_] Bec[_3_] is offline

Default If & Array

It worked a treat on my test page but I'm having trouble with the 'real'
spreadsheet, maybe because I'm using validation lists?

I'll keep going, but thanks so much for the help!!

"T. Valko" wrote:

Do you mean something like this:

...........A..........B
1........D..........B
2........X..........Y
3........X..........C
4........C..........X
5........X..........Y

Count instances where column A = X and the same row in column B = Y ?

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A5="X"),--(B1:B5="Y"))

The result is 2.

A better way to do this is to use cells to hold the criteria:

D1 = X
E1 = Y

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A5=D1),--(B1:B5=E1))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Bec" wrote in message
What would my formula look like if I had 2 conditions that needed to be
met
and then for any that met that condition to count those instances, in this
case it is all text entries.

Thanks
Bec