Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dr Alok Modi MD Dr Alok Modi MD is offline

Default How can I know when a field is repeating during while data entry

My manager has this query. He is entering the stock details of his phamacy.
He has 6 columns. One is "name of the distributor",
the second is "bill number or invoice number",
the third is "amount to be paid",
the fourth is "cheque number"
the fifth is whether it has been "paid" or is "unpaid". The lst coumn I
have given conditional formatting, so that if it is paid, it will show the
fonts in green and if it is unpaid, it will show the fonts in red.

Now our query is that after say about 50 rows of enteries made, he would
like to know the moment he enters the bill no in the second coulmn, if excel
can tell that this bill no has been enetered before? Like when you enter text
excel repeats the entry so you can come to know, but it does not do that in
number data type. I tried entering the numbers as a text data type, but no
use ?

Dr Alok Modi MD