Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob I Bob I is offline

Default Hyperlink files same folder only?

You need to Turn Off "Update Links on Save" You will find that in Tools
Options, General, Web Options, Files.
Also using the Auto Open macro below in the workbook will prevent the
undesired updates from "breaking" the portability.

Sub Auto_Open()
'
' Auto_Open Macro
'
'
Application.DefaultWebOptions.UpdateLinksOnSave = False

End Sub

dahljam wrote:

I want to create an Excel index to pdf files in a folder using
hyperlinks. I want to be able to share with others who do not have the
same directory structure, but who simply create a folder of some name,
and fill it with the set of pdf files and the Excel index file.

I thought this would be easy, if I just enter the file names
only(stripping any path information). But this doesn't seem to work.
I wonder if there is some prefix to a file name that will present Excel
from inserting a path name in front of it; or some internal Excel
setting that controls this.

Basicly the hyperlink index works on my system, but won't work in the
folder of the recipient whom I emailed it to. And if I fix it over
there and email it back to me, then it won't work on my system.

I tried using quotes; typing "FILE:abc.pdf", and entering
"./abc.pdf",etc.

Also we have generally left menu item "File properties hyperlink
base" =blank.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

JimD