IanRoy

Dear Rebecca,

Sorry about the delay, but I do have an answer for you. Insert into every
sheet an helper column containing a CONCATENATE function to combine the text
from B and D. Then copy one of these sheets to use as a lookup table and use
the function VLOOKUP in each of your other sheets to return your English
translation from that table for each unique combination of word and
declension. To see what these functions do and what syntax they require,
click the "fx" on your formula bar and look up you formula in the reulting
dialog.

After translating everything in your lookup table, delete duplicate rows
from it and copy the untranslated rows from your next sheet into it. Continue
translation. Hopefully this lookup table will not exceed the sixty-five
thousand some rows of which Excel is capable. If it does, you will need to
make a second lookup table and point the VLOOKUP functions from cells not yet
containing translations to the new lookup table.

I have done this with a sample workbook containing the data you posted. It
works. You would enter your translations in the lookup table, and VLOOKUP
wouId copy those results into each of your other sheets. If you want that
sample, plus detailed instructions, please e-mail me at i_macewan at
earthlink dot net. and we can discuss terms.

Regards,
Ian.

"Rebecca" wrote:

Dear Ian,

Below is a sample of only one sheet, and there is one sheet for every book
of the Old Greek (LXX, Septuagint) Bible plus the New Testament. It is
arranged as follows (though in this post we can't see the Greek font):

Please note: The first row is blank (I inserted some information here).

The first column (A) is the book (in this example Exodus), the second column
(B) is the Greek dictionary form, the third column (C) is the parsing, the
fourth column is the Greek word declined (D), the blank fifth column (E) is
where I want to put the English translation of the word in D column, and the
last column (F) contains the number of where the word ranks in the book (and
used for resorting). I realize this could be done in Access, but I want to
do this in Excel for several reasons I won't bore you with the details.

A B C D E F
Exo 01:01 ou-toj rdnnp tau/ta 1
Exo 01:01 o` dnnp ta. 2
Exo 01:01 o;noma nnnpc ovno,mata 3
Exo 01:01 o` dgmp tw/n 4
Exo 01:01 ui`o,j ngmpc ui`w/n 5
Exo 01:01 ivsrah,l ngmsp israhl 6
Exo 01:01 o` dgmp tw/n 7
Exo 01:01 eivsporeu,omai vpxpgmp eivspeporeume,nwn 8
Exo 01:01 eivj pa eivj 9
Exo 01:01 ai;guptoj nafsp ai;gupton 10
Exo 01:01 a[ma pd a[ma 11
Exo 01:01 ivakw,b ndmsp iakwb 12
Exo 01:01 o` ddms tw/| 13
Exo 01:01 path,r ndmsc patri. 14

As you can see the dictionary word for the (o`) as several forms. This is
want to do: as I translate from the first word in the book I want to search
for the same word in B (ou-toj = this) and the same word in D (tau/ta =
these) and translate this B and D combination in column E (these). Then I go
down to the second row and do the same. And this should be a global search
and replace of all the books (sheets) of the Greek Bible.