Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default Please help me win my fantasy football league by answering this ex

Hi Nicholas,

If I understand correctly you have a column of names of players (Col B) and
a column of stats (Col C)

This formula looks down Column B and works out the average of all Jo
Johnson's stats. There's no need to sort the players names.

=SUMIF(B1:B100,"=Jo Johnson",C1:C100)/COUNTIF(B1:B100,"Jo Johnson")

Mike

" wrote:

Thanks in advance for any help. Here is my challenge. I want to
track stats for players on rows. Have a different row for each of the
last three seasons (They are in the same columns so I can data sort
and all of player x's stats for the lest three seasons are in three
rows. How do I get Excel to recognize that the value (a-z) in the
name field matches and THEN average together one cell from each of the
three rows.

e.g. 06 Jo Johnson 48
05 Jo Johnson
57

How do I write one cell that excel will know is asking me to average
all of the number values if the names match?

I am a rookie so if this one is obvious I apologize.

NJD