Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Hank[_2_] Hank[_2_] is offline

Default Sorting Blank Cells

Thanks for the help. Looks my example did not print out like I wanted.
Hopefully the following will show up better.

A B C
D E
1 FName LName Relationship RelFName
RelLName
2 Jim Jones Dad
Robert Jones
3 Mom
Nancy Jones
4 Sister
Haley Jones
5 Liz White Mom
Beth White
6 Dad
Bill White
7 Uncle
Joe Jackson
8 Grandfather
Earl Wilson
9 Frank Anderson Dad Jim
Anderson
10 Mom
Betty Anderson
11 Grandfather
Harry Early

I want to sort only col A and B. The Col C - E must remain with the
correct names shown in Col A and B.
I have not been able to do this by selecting the sort field and using the
"sort" drop down menu even when I check "Header Row".
If I put "Jim" in A3, and A4, "Jones" in B3 and B4 and duplicate the other
names in the blank cells it will work OK - just does not look as good.
I have type the names in the blank cells and used a white font color for the
duplicates - works OK, but is there another way.
Hope my example shows up better this time.

Thanks again
Hank

"Hank" wrote in message
I have a worksheet similar to this:
A B C D E
1 Fname Lname Relative RelFName RelLName
2 Jim Jones Dad Robert Jones
3 Mom Nancy Jones
4 Sister Haley Jones
5 Liz White Mom Beth White
6 Dad Bill White
7 Uncle Joe Jackson
8 Grandfather Earl Wilson
9 Frank Anderson Dad Jim Anderson
10 Mom Betty Anderson
11 Grandfather Harry Early

12

Row 1 is the header row.
I want to sort Col A and/or Col B but keep the relative infromation with
the right people. I think I could do it if I had the FName and LName
typed in each cell rather than leaving them blank, but it looks odd. Is
there a better way? I've tried merging cells A2:A4 and B2:B4, etc but it
will not sort properly.
Hank