Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sandy Mann Sandy Mann is offline

Default What is "=+" in a reference?

My theory is that it's a hold over from users of Lotus 123

When I was at work we had a secretary who habitually wrote formulas like
that. I asked her if she originally started using Lotus and she replied,
"What is Lotus?" She said that it just felt right to write it that way.

I think that it may be related to the other thing that newcomers do in that
they tend to write =SUM(A1+B1) because they feel that you have to coerce XL
into performing a calculation.

--

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
It irritates most excel users.

My theory is that it's a hold over from users of Lotus 123.

They used to write their formulas like:
+a1+a2

When they started using excel, they remembered that formulas start with
equal
signs. But they don't remember to remove the ones that aren't required.

j wrote:

I sometimes see other people's Excel formulas that have a reference with
=+A1

instead of
=A1

What does the plus sign do?