Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formatting Dates

Formatting doesn't change the value, it only changes the display.
You'll need to convert the value, for example using
=--TEXT(A1,"00\/00\/00"). You can then sort by the new column.
--
David Biddulph

"MEAD5432" wrote in message
I have a column of dates. These dates are stored in the cell as "112482"
and
the cell is formatted as "00\/00\/00" so that in the cell it looks like:
"11/24/82".

The problem is, I can't sort these dates because they are not stored
correctly in the cell for Excel to recognize them like it should. For
instance, "112482" is seen by Excel as 112,482nd day after January 1st,
1900
or 12/18/2007.

It appears there is no function in Excel currently to format my dates
correctly so it can be sorted by Excel. Can I create one using VBA? What
would it be?