Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Sorting Blank Cells

Don't merge any cells.

Select all the data, including the header row (i.e. A1:E11 in your
example) and choose Data | Sort from the pull-down menus. Ensure that
Header Row is ticked, and you can then choose to sort by Lname
followed by Fname. All the related data will be kept on the same rows
- do not use the Sort icon from the toolbar, as this doesn't always
work in the way you wish it to.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jun 28, 1:01 am, "Hank" wrote:
I have a worksheet similar to this:
A B C D E
1 Fname Lname Relative RelFName RelLName
2 Jim Jones Dad Robert Jones
3 Mom Nancy Jones
4 Sister Haley Jones
5 Liz White Mom Beth White
6 Dad Bill White
7 Uncle Joe Jackson
8 Grandfather Earl Wilson
9 Frank Anderson Dad Jim Anderson
10 Mom Betty Anderson
11 Grandfather Harry Early

12

Row 1 is the header row.
I want to sort Col A and/or Col B but keep the relative infromation with the
right people. I think I could do it if I had the FName and LName typed in
each cell rather than leaving them blank, but it looks odd. Is there a
better way? I've tried merging cells A2:A4 and B2:B4, etc but it will not
sort properly.
Hank