Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] thomas.toth@gmail.com is offline

Default Returning multiple indices for a lookup

Hi,

I have a table which contains a name in the first column and an
article-number in the second column. One person can have multiple
articles but the article numbers are unique.

I am now trying to generate a table showing which person has which
articles, sorted per name whereby the name is given for each line (is
already sorted as needed). In the output I also have a 'counter' going
across for easier readability. I'll try and give an example:

Table1 (exists):
Name Article
John 1234
John 2345
James 3456
Jim 4567
John 5678
James 6789

Table2 (needed):
1 2 3
John 1234 2345 5678
James 3456 6789
Jim 4567

I know I can find a specific name and corresponding article number in
the table using VLOOKUP but this will only return a single article, I
assume the last one.

How can I get VLOOKUP (or match or index) to return multiple indices?
Then I could tell it to return me the article at the 1st, 2nd, 3rd,...
position.

It should all be implemented in a dynamic worksheet way, that is
without VBA. Once I update/change table1 and then press F9 it should
update table2.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom