Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Converting ASC to csv

It's not really just the filesize that could be the problem--although, I'm
guessing that 3.78GB (gigabytes!) won't fit.

Depending on what version of excel you're using, you'll be limited by the number
of rows and columns (or fields) in a worksheet for that version.

Xl97-xl2003 supports 64k rows and 256 columns
xl2007 supports 1MB rows and 16k columns

You should be able to open excel
File|Open your text file
you'll be prompted to parse your data (fixed width or delimited)

If everything fits within those limits, you can use File|SaveAs and choose .CSV
as the file type.

wrote:

How can I convert an ASC file to a csv file.
The file that I have is very large3.78GB. Does the size of the file
make a difference?
Also my computer has 512 MB of RAM and a Pt M 1.73 Ghz processor. Do
you think I will be able to do this task on this computer?

--

Dave Peterson