Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier Roger Govier is offline

Default if 200 and <300 formula

Yes Rick, I posted in haste and should have explained to the OP that the
tests
(A1200)
(A1<300)
would lead to a True or False result.
When Multiplied together, the True's would be coerced to 1's and the
False's to 0's

Hence
A1*TRUE*TRUE becomes A1*1*1 which returns the value in A1
If either (or both) of the tests is False, then we get 0.
A1*0*1 = 0
A1*1*0 = 0

As you rightly say, understanding this principle, does help with the
understanding of other functions such as Sumproduct.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
Or even

=A1*(A1200)*(A1<300)

Yeah, I was going to post that with an explanation that understanding
this construction will be helpful in making use of such functions as
SUMPRODUCT later on; but I had to take care of something and couldn't
get back to my computer until just now.

Rick