Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Formula Fred[_2_] Formula Fred[_2_] is offline

Default New method for PERCENTILE & QUARTILE formulas

Sorry - did not finish this query off - Using the formula below I have been
able to get close to an accurate figure for calculating interest on my
mortgage, but it is not quite right for a case where interest is calculated
daily and added monthly.

Do you have a better suggestion, please?

"Formula Fred" wrote:

Hi Dave F
I am trying to find a formula that will give me really accurate compound
interest calculations, where interest is calculated daily and added monthly.
I have used A=P(1+r) to power n, where A=accumulated sum, P is principal and
r=interest rate expressed as a proportion and n is the term.

Can you help, please?

"Dave F" wrote:

50255 is the median of the sequence of numbers you give. A set of six values
does not have a median exactly equal to the value of any of the numbers.
Rather, it is equal to the third largest value plus the fourth largest value
divided by two.

Dave

"Francisco" wrote:

I see your point but this method does not work with large series.
The PERCENTILE value must be a number that belongs to the series.

We do tables of salaries and we need to show the salary that best represents
the MEDIAN or a QUARTILE. For example:
{$50000, $50001 $50010 $50500 $50501 $65000}
The right MEDIAN value is $50010 and Excel provides $50255, this is just
wrong. $50255 does not belong the series.

"BoniM" wrote:

=INT(PERCENTILE(A1:A10,0.5))

"Francisco" wrote:

I have a suggestion that we will be very useful for our company.
The way Excel calculate PERCENTILE and QUARTILE series is not appropiate for
discrete numbers.

My suggestion
At the moment =percentile(a1:a10,.05) gives 5.5 in the sequence
{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}. This is incorrect on discrete numbers.

Following the example above, I want to gather discrete numbers, i.e. "5" on
the series rather than "5.5". The same apply for QUARTILE formulas where a
second parameter is needed.
Add a Third parameter [optional] as follows:
- 0, default (as it currently works)
- 1, takes the inferior discrete number
- 2, takes the superior discrete number

click "I Agree" in the message pane.