Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default work with templates

The message means that Excel doesn't recognize the format of the file you're
trying to open.

The message asks you to save it elswhere as a Text(*.txt) file and open that
file in Excel using the Text Import Wizard.

Nothing about "auto text" format.

Obviously the template is corrupt.

You may get it open with the free program OpenOffice which does wondrous things
with corrupt Excel files.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 15:30:00 -0700, Mr Chips
wrote:

I have a template that was made for Excel but when I go to bring itr up I get
an error message that Excel does not recognise it and to go to auto text
format. How do I do that?? Where is auto text format??