Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jerry W. Lewis Jerry W. Lewis is offline

Default Polynomial Trendline Equation Changes After Copy Paste

Here is another thread reporting yet another new bug with the chart trendline
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...752db0fedc2cbf
With all the statistical issues that have needed attention for over 15
years, one wonders why MS started by "fixing" something that wasn't broken.

Jerry

"Jerry W. Lewis" wrote:

Extremely strange! Your cubic coefficient matches to 8-figures the cubic
coefficient for the model with an estimated intercept! I can think of no
obvious way for MS to have gotten things crossed up like this.

Unfortunately, this is not the only "improvement" in the 2007 chart
trendline that has rendered this formerly numerically excellent tool no
longer trustworthy.
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...353c068ee07b94

I think that LINEST 2007 will still return correct values, using the
arguments that I posted earlier. Try generating the trendline from LINEST
coefficient estimates and see how it compares to the curve plotted by adding
a trendline to the chart (i.e. did MS mess up the displayed equation only, or
the plotted curve also?)

Jerry