Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
vezerid vezerid is offline

Default removing dashes from numbers

The following formula will return text and thus preserve the 00's.

=SUBSTITUTE(A2,"-","")

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

On Jun 21, 8:31 pm, "Pat Jones" wrote:
Thanks Pete;

That works except for one thing that I didn't realize was important - many
of these numbers start with a zero (0). The find and replace got rid of the
zeros. I then formatted the cells as text, but the zeros were still gone on
some - but not all - of the results.

Any ideas how to preserve those zeros ?

Cheers;
Pat

"Pete_UK" wrote in message

ps.com...

Highlight the column and do Find & Replace (CTRL-H):

Find What: -
Replace with: (leave empty)

Click Replace All.

Note that if you have "numbers" like 0012-3456, you will lose the
leading zeros and end up with 123456.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jun 21, 4:39 pm, "Pat Jones" wrote:
Hi;

I have a long column of numbers that contain "-" (I call them dashes). I
need to remove the dashes from these 3000+ numbers. Is there a way to
automate this process?

Thanks;

Pat