Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Del Cotter Del Cotter is offline

Default Creating notches in box whisker plots in Microsoft Excel

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Jon Peltier said:
I do have something against notches, though, and I've worked out what it
is: I always got the impression that the width of the waist meant
something, which is why I was so surprised to finally find out that it was
all just about the height of the notch, not how deeply it cuts into the
box.

I'm not wild about the notch construction, and your observation about
the width and depth of the notch touches on my unfamiliarity with it. I
had in mind a version with a new rectangle in the middle of the stack
to replace the notch, which keeps the focus on heights and not on widths.

Yes! new rectangle in the middle of the stack would work for me, with
ticks at the centre point of that to mark the median.

--
Del Cotter