Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Emily Lin [MSFT] Emily Lin [MSFT] is offline

Default Sorting Alphanumeric data in Excel 2003

Hi William,

Thanks for your reply.

Based on my testing in Excel 2000/2002/2003, the sort results are same.
They are as following:
111410
111430
111571
111581
111611
111631
111951
1117A1
1117A2
1117A3
1117E1

Do you mean that you can sort the data as you expected in Excel 2000/2002?

At this point, please refer to the following KB article to see if you can
sort the data as you expected in Excel 2003. I do appreciate your time and
efforts on this issue.

322067 How to correctly sort alphanumeric data in Excel

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

--------------------

www.microsoft.com/security

| ================================================== ====
| PLEASE NOTE: The partner managed newsgroups are provided to assist with
| break/fix issues and simple how to questions.
|
| We also love to hear your product feedback!
| Let us know what you think by posting
| from the web interface: Partner Feedback
| from your newsreader:
| microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback.
| We look forward to hearing from you!
| ================================================== ====
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from this issue.
| ================================================== ====
rights.
| ================================================== ====
|
| --------------------
| | From: ?B?YmlsbGQ=?=
| | Subject: Sorting Alphanumeric data in Excel 2003
| | Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 05:35:00 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup
| |
| | Thanks Emily, basically the trick is that you need to use an empty
| column,
| | format it as text, copy the data into it, and then you can sort
properly
| | using Data | Sort... as you described. You cannot format the column
| already
| | containing the data to a "text" column, and that was probably my
issue...
| | --
| | /billd
| |
| |
| | "Emily Lin [MSFT]" wrote:
| |
| | Hi,
| |
| | What is the expected result after you sort the data?
| |
| | First, I set the cell format as Text and then copy the data into the
| cell.
| | Thus, 111E6 will not be changed to 1.11E+08.
| |
| | Based on my testing, in Excel 2000, it will be sorted as the
following:
| | 111E6
| | 1237A
| | 1237X
| | 23476
| | 351E3
| | 355E2
| | 74477
| |
| | In Excel 2003, when you sort the data and choose the option "sort
| numbers
| | and numbers stored as text separately", it will be sorted as the
| following,
| | same as in Office 2000:
| | 111E6
| | 1237A
| | 1237X
| | 23476
| | 351E3
| | 355E2
| | 74477
| |
| | In Excel 2003, when you sort the data and choose the option "sort
| anything
| | that looks like a number, as a number", it will be sorted as the
| following:
| | 23476
| | 355E2
| | 74477
| | 351E3
| | 111E6
| | 1237A
| | 1237X
| |
| | Is the situation same on your computer? If not, please write down the
| | detail steps which you did and cause what result. And let me know
your
| | expected result.
| |
| | Also, you can send the specific Excel file to me and let me know what
| you
| | want to do in the Excel file. Thus, we can address the issue more
| | efficiently. My Email address is .
| |
| | Following is the KB article about "Sorting alphanumeric text as
numeric
| | values":
| | 214282 Sorting alphanumeric text as numeric values
| |
| |
| | If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please
don't
| | hesitate to contact me.
| |
| | Happy weekend!
| |
| | Regards,
| |
| | Emily Lin
| |
| | Microsoft Online Partner Support
| | Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| | ================================================== ==
| | When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
| so
| | that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| | ================================================== ==
| | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| rights.
| |
| |
| | --------------------
| | | From: ?B?YmlsbGQ=?=
| | | Subject: Sorting Alphanumeric data in Excel 2003
| | | Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:19:00 -0700
| | | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup
| | |
| | | Trying to sort several part numbers - example
| | | 23476
| | | 1237X
| | | 1237A
| | | 355E2
| | | 351E3
| | | 74477
| | | 111E6
| | |
| | | It will not sort correctly because of the numbers are treated
| seperately
| | and
| | | the =TEXT(ref cell, "format") function treats the part #'s with
"E2"
| or
| | "E3"
| | | (basically E#) as scientific notation. Rekeying is not an option,
as
| the
| | | actual sheet has several thousand of these types of mixed alpha
| numerics.
| | It
| | | worked properly in Excel 2002 and Excel 2000, Excel 2003 has
changed
| the
| | | whole thing!.
| | | --