Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Jerry W. Lewis Jerry W. Lewis is offline

Default Excel Incorrectly Plotting Non-sequential Data Points

It plots just fine as an "XY (Scatter)" chart in Excel 2000 and Excel 2003.

Most likely either
1. you are specifiying a "Line" chart (which is intended to behave as you
describe), or
2. some of your observations are not really numbers

To test for #2, try =COUNT(xdata) and =COUNT(ydata) to be sure that both are
returning 7 as expected.

Jerry

" wrote:

Bernie,

Thank you for the help. Your method solved the problem that time, but
now it's not working now with the following set of data:

-1 0.07
0 0.07
2 0.09
4 0.14
6 0.10
9 0.08
10 0.09

I can create a perfect chart using rows the first 6 rows above, but as
soon as I add the last row of data, it wants to plot everything
sequentially as "1" through "7". I don't understand why this would
change just because of the "10".