Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default File corrupts when saving under a different name - xl2000

One common problem that also generates that "not a valid excel file" is when
someone opens the .xls file in MSWord and saves the file as an MSWord file (it's
a .doc file with a .xls extension).

If you can open that troublesome file in MSWord and see your data, I bet that's
what happened. (It seems to be a more common problem that you would hope.)

Are you asking if there is a kb article about converting an Excel system to
Access? I wouldn't guess so.

Clayman wrote:

That's a valid point.

I have seen no evidence of corruption up to this point, but now we get an
error message that the file we are opening is not a valid MS Excel file.

I must add that I am new on this system and am reporting problems that have
been encountered up to this point. It stands to reason that if the file was
saved at one point with an unseen corruption, that corruption would remain
and, perhaps, magnify over time of saving with a new name.

I'm trying to push the development of a different system, one based on
Access rather than Excel. Is there a KB article related to this? I've
searched and can't find it.

Thank you!
--
Adios,
Clay Harryman

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

If a workbook is corrupt, then saving it as a new name won't clean up that
problem. And from what I can tell, corruption tends to get worse over time--not
just based on saving.

Maybe it's time to create a new workbook from scratch and start using that as
the basis for all new workbooks.

But are you sure that the workbook is corrupt? You may want to share some of
the problems that you're having. Maybe it's something else???

Clayman wrote:

I have users that are opening a file every week and saving it under a new
name (ie: sheet-06-03-07.xls, sheet-06-10-07.xls ...) The file has recently
become corrupt. A friend suggested that it may be the saving and re-saving of
the same sheet over and over that corrupted it. Is this a possibility?
--
Adios,
Clay Harryman

--