Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ConfusedNHouston ConfusedNHouston is offline

Default Comparing Cell Contents in 2 or More Columns

The title of this post doesn't quite capture what I'd love to be able to do.

I have a column of master data in Column A. These records comprise the
entire set of data to be considered. In Column B, I import records that are
a subset of the records in Column A. Is there a way to "sort" the data in
Column B so that B2 = A2, B44=A44, etc.

An example would be:

A1 - "Record 1" B1 - "Record 1"
A2 - "Record 2" B2 - " " (no record in the subset, so it's blank)
A3 - "Record 3" B3 - "Record 3"
A4 - "Record 4" B4 - "Record 4"
A5 - "Record 5" B5 - no record in the subset, so again, it's blank

While I'm on the subject, If the above actually can be done, if I had data
in columns C and D that was related to data in Column B, could I sort B,C,
and D columns as a group, but make the data in B my sort key (as I've dopne
above)?