Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
quattda quattda is offline

Default Time Sheet

That does not do what I am looking for. Maybe if I can clarify it would help.

The student will be working on one or more projects during a given class
period of 83 minutes. Each project has a set amount of time that I think it
should take. The student would enter a beginning time and an end time for
each project. I would have the projects and their associated times set up
already (exactly how depends on whether I create this time sheet has the
project as the base or the date that the work is being done).

I would like to be able to calculate the amount of time that the student is
not using during a given class period (during a single day) for one or more
projects they worked on during that period. I also want to be able to
calculate the total number of minutes used for each individual roject (that
may extend across more than a single day).

As I mentioned in first posting, I can do these indvidually but cannot
figure out how to do these on a single worksheet at the same time. I have
been bouncing back and forth between using Excel or Access. However, I know
Excel better and people I have talked to about this say I "should" be able to
do this in Excel but nobody can suggest a specific set of procedures to do
it. I believe I might have to set up some sort of search procedure which I am
not completely comfortable with.

If this is something that really cannot be done in Excel, I would greatly
appreciate being told that too.

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

I'm not sure that I'm following you correctly but what I would do is have
the following set up:

Row 1 Labels:
A: Date
B: Project One
D: Project Two
F: Project Three

Highlight B1:C1 and then select: Format Cells Alignment Horizontal
"Center Across Selection" to centre the label between columns B & C

then do the same for Project Two & Three

Row 2:
B: Start
C: End

then do the same for Project Two & Three

Total Time used on Project One:

=SUM((C3:C32-B3:B32))

Entered as an array formula with Control + Shift + Enter not just Enter

Time wasted in Row 3:
=ROUND(TIME(1,23,0),9)-ROUND((SUM(C3,E3,G3)-SUM(B3,D3,F3)),9)

All time cells formatted as "hh:mm" (without the quotes)

The rounding is because I found in a test that TIME(1,23,0) was -3.16414E-15
smaller than
SUM("9:00","11:00","12:00")-sum("10:00","11:15","12:08")

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

with @tiscali.co.uk

"quattda" wrote in message
I am trying to create a timesheet for my students and am running into issue
am not sure how to solve. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The student are to work on a series of projects that take anywhere from 20
minutes to ca. 6 hours during a class period of 83 minutes. I want to be
able
to keep track of two things. First, the time sheet needs to keeps track of
the total time spent on a particular project (possibly across more one
day).
This total will be compared with a percentage of the time I think is
appropriate for that project and a then a grade is assigned. Second, is to
keep track of the total amount of time that is used toward projects
(possibly
more than one in a single class period) and then compare this total with
the
total number of minutes in the class period (i.e., 83) to determine
"wasted"
time.

I have tried setting this time sheet up two different ways: "project
based"
and "date based". In other words, I have been able to do each of these
procedures independently. However, I am having a mental block as to how to
set this up so that both would occur at the same time.

Please help with any ideas.