Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevryl Kevryl is offline

Default Cant get dd/mm date format in Excel 2003

Thanks Ron and others. I've just checked in quickly to see the responses but
unfortunately have someone waiting for me so don't have time to reply. Ron,
I'll give a detailed response in the next day or so. Thanks for giving me
your time.

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 22:14:02 -0700, Kevryl
wrote:

I've imported an Excel 200 file into Excel 2003. The date column worked
perfectly as dd/mm on my machine in Excel 2000 but refuses to show that way
in 2003 on another machine. Both are XP, the original "Home edition", the
destination machine on "Professional".

I've gone through Format/cells/number/date/ routine, and
format/cells/number/custom.

I've gone to control panel and Regional Settings . None of these options are
making any difference. Even blank cells in the column will not accept the
date in the typed in format of dd/mm whereas it was never a problem in the
originating machine under Excel 2000.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

You really don't give enough information.

How does the date column "show" in Excel 2003?

Are you trying to change how dates are displayed? Or are you trying to change
how dates that you enter from the keyboard are interpreted by Excel?

If the latter
1. Exactly what are you typing in (what numbers and symbols)?
2. Exactly what is displaying in the cell?
3. What is your short date windows regional setting?

If the former,
1. What does the cell display?
2. What is displayed in the formula bar when you select that cell?
3. What is displayed in the cell (and formula bar) when you format the
cell as "General"

--ron