Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ShaneDevenshire ShaneDevenshire is offline

Default Function to find 'n'th largest alphanumeric field (like "Large")

Hi,

Here are two short solutions, both entered as arrays:

=OFFSET(A$1,MATCH(ROW(A1),COUNTIF(D,"<="&D),),)
=INDEX(D,MATCH(ROW(A1),COUNTIF(D,"<="&D),))

The first assumes A$1 is the cell directly above the data D, where your
names are. Array formulas are entered using Shift Ctrl Enter instead of
Enter. I have named the range where the names are as D, if you don't, then
remember to make the range absolute or at least the rows of the range.
--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Smibes" wrote:

Is there a formula function that will find 'n'th largest (or smallest)
alphanumeric field (like "Large" does with numerics).

I am trying to use formulas to move a column of alphnumeric data from one
column to another with the new column sorted alphanumerically. To move a
column of values I would use "Large" however that function does not work with
text.

Thanks in advance.
John