Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default Sort Columns

Hi Saxman,

A couple of stages.

First in column C extract the largest from the 2 columns with the formula

=MAX(A$1,B$1) drag this down for the length of you data.

Now make a table with your ranking and points

1 25
2 20
3 15
4 10
5 5

In my example it's in I1 to J5

Now in D1 enter the formula below and drag down and it will award the points.

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(RANK(C1,C$1:C$8),I$1:J$5,2,FAL SE)),"",VLOOKUP(RANK(C1,C$1:C$8),I$1:J$5,2,FALSE))

Mike

"Saxman" wrote:

I have two columns of figures. My objective is to select the highest figure in
adjacent cells from the two columns and award points 25, 20, 15, 10, 5 to the top
five in the remaining column. What is the best way to tackle this? Example below.

Column A Column B
53 42
74 82
71 70
72 72
65 68
63 63
52 51
45 63

Best of both columns.
53
82
71
72
68
63
52
63

The above sorted.
82 25pts.
72 20
71 15
68 10
63 5
63
53
52

As one can see above where pts. equal 63 one could rely on the sort, award both 5
pts. or split the pts. between both (or more). I'm not too bothered about this
aspect though.