Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Teethless mama Teethless mama is offline

Default vlookup formula problems

Change "FALSE" to "TRUE" of course no quotes

"Simon888" wrote:

Hi, I am trying to use vlookup to get some figures out of a table of
data. A simplified version is as below:

Fund G/N_Ind 1m_cum
SB058 N* -1.01
46385 G -0.86
46385 N* -0.94
FC237 N* -1

If I use a simple vlookup to obtain the figures in the third column I
can use the following formula:
=VLOOKUP(A2,$A$2:$C$5,3,FALSE)

However, as there is a repeat of the fund code in the first colum,
when I want to return the figure -0.94 for the fund number 46385, it
instead returns the first occurence of the fund and gives me the
figure -0.86. Is there any other formula I can use to ask for the
second instance corresponding to Fund 46385 or perhaps a formula that
first looks for 46385 and then looks for N* so it will return the
-0.94? Thanks,
Simon