Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default Array formula returning the cumulative sum

As far as I can see, no function differentiates between absolute and
relative references. A1 is the same cell as $A$1. It becomes relevant when
copying that cell reference to another cell, not in the evaluation of a
formula.

--
HTH

Bob

"vsoler" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 14 jun, 21:58, vsoler wrote:
Because I am studying in depth the array formulas, I would like to
know if it is possible to build a formula such that, given a set of
numbers in a vertical range (1 column wide), it returns an array with
the cumulative sum.

For example, if A1:A5 contains:

3
8
5
1
6

Then, the formula should return

3
11
16
17
23

Of course, I know that the goal can be achieved by mean of a simple
formula:

=SUM($A$1:A1) copied down

However, I keep an interest (let's call it theoretical) in knowing if
the exercise is possible?

Can anybody help?

Perhaps I should explain a little further.

I have the impression that array formulas cannot handle correctly the
difference between absolute and relative references. They are only
able to iterate a single cell reference inside a range of cells.

For example, if I write {=SUMIF(A1:A5,A1:A5)} entered with Ctrl-
Shift-Enter, the array formula takes one single cell at a time inside
the A1:A5 range and makes the comparison, thats all. In this case,
array calculating mean iterating.

If I write {=SUMIF($A$1:$A$5,$A$1:$A$5)} entered with Ctrl-Shift-
Enter I get exactly the same result. Conclusion: there is no real
handling of absolute and relative references.

Even if you find no solution to my question, I would like to have your
feedback, I would appreciate it.

Thank you