Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier Roger Govier is offline

Default Too many criterias...

Hi

This data layout is ideally suited for summarising with a Pivot Table.
Mark your range of data.
DataPivot TableNextFinish
Drag name to the Page field area
Drag Dates to the Row area
Drag Transaction types to the Row area alongside the Dates
Drag Charge amounts to the Data area.

If you want, right click on DateGrouping and OutlineGroupChoose
whatever period you want
Days 7 or Days 15 or Month

Select any employee name from the page dropdown and you have your
report.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, I think you've grasped what it is I'm trying to achieve. A
summary is what I'm looking for.

For example, if on January 1, Employee 1 purchased an airline ticket
to visit a client. The amount was $600. Now on that same day, meeting
with the client would mean charging a business lunch at $40 as well as
a dinner at $70. I want to create a user defined sheet with a drop
down list of those employees. For each employee name chosen, I wanted
each type of transaction summarized. Such as, one cell will return the
airfaire of $600. The next to return the total amount of food on that
day of $110, i.e. the lunch and dinner.

Is that asking for too much of Excel?

What exactly are you trying to compute for each employee? Do want a
summary
by transaction types for each employee for a given time period?

" wrote:
Ok, I guess this got sticky because of how detail I'm trying to get
it
to be with the multiple criterias. The purpose of this sheet is to
track business expenses amongst about 8 employees.

Assume columns: (with up to a thousand rows of data)
A will consist of Dates
B will consist of Employee Names
C will consist of Transaction Types (i.e. Business lunches,
airfare,
etc)
D will consist of the Charge Amounts.

My first obstacle is after meeting the 3 criterias, for a cell to
return the value in column C.
My 2nd obstacle is there are many duplicates. Now there are a lot
of
formulas to eliminate them. That's not the case this time.

If row 2 matches all the values in row 1 respectively through
columns
A, B, C, and D, then either take the sum of the 2 transactions to
show
as one trasnaction type on that day by that employee, or return it
in
the next cell and I can just do a sumif function.

Forgive me if i'm not explaining this with complete clarity, but I
guess this is the best I can think to desribe it.

If you have any solutions and/or strategies, please let me know.-