Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Charles F. Radley Charles F. Radley is offline

Default Why is MS Excel renaming worksheets (truncating names)? Is there a fix for this?

Why is MS Excel renaming worksheets (truncating names)? Is there a fix for
this?
Why is Excel renaming worksheets? Is there a fix for this?
I am seeing something very strange with some Office-2003 Excel spreadsheets
I am trying to manipulate.
My spreadsheets contain many sheets (tabs), many with long names (e.g. 44
characters).
When I make copies of these spreadsheets the names of some of the sheets get
changed, i.e. truncated (e.g. down to 31 characters).
This is a problem for me because QTP is using the names of the sheets to
parse data.
Are you aware of any issues in Excel which might cause something like this?
The issue has only become apparent recently, spreadsheets created last year
did not suffer from this problem. Maybe it was introduced by a recent
service pack to Office-2003?
Exploration:
I installed OPENOFFICE 2.2 on my machine.
This a free counterpart of Microsoft office, available from
http://www.openoffice.org
When I manipulate spreadsheets in OpenOffice, the sheet name is preserved.
When I exit Excel after opening a spreadsheet saved in OpenOffice, Excel
asks me if I want to save it in the "new" Excel format .. Of course the
correct answer is "no".
However When I launch QTP using a spreadsheet saved in Openoffice, Excel
interrupts the QTP test and asks to resave the file in the new format. When
I click "no", the test then hangs. So I still do not have a solution to the
problem. Or does Microsoft have a fix for this?