Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JE McGimpsey JE McGimpsey is offline

Default conditional formatting group of cells

One way:

Say the column is H:H. Then select your cells with, say, a cell in row 1
active, and use

CF1: Formula is =$H1="Y"
Format1: <pattern/<grey/gray

In article ,
dantee wrote:

Hello Excel users.

I have a column that is filled with either blanks, "Y", or "N" in each cell.
It is easy enough to format each of those cells to be grey/gray when a "Y"
is in the cell. My question is this: is there a way (besides using a macro)
to have the row that the "Y" is in to be grey as well as the cell containing
the "Y"?

In other words, is there a way to highlight the whole row--or a range of
cells on that row--that contains the "Y" by using conditional formatting
(there is other information in the adjacent columns that is not to be
changed) instead of using a macro after all the Y's and N's have been input?

dantee.