Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Suanne Lippman Suanne Lippman is offline

Default Excel won't let me save, and then the file is gone?!

I am running Office98 on a 1 year old Emachines and WXP home.

About 6 months ago when I tried to save a spreadsheet it would say the
spreadsheet can't be saved, but the system was saving it to a temporary file
with some bizarre name. It told me to open the temporary file and then save
it.

Well, I never did find the temporary files, but had to recreate the
spreadsheets. Now I find I can copy the sheet to the clipboard, close the
existing file, create a new spread sheet and paste the clipboard. The old
file is then simply gone, so I can save the new file to the old name.

Any idea what is going on here? It is really obnoxious. It was okay until
6 months ago, and I am still running Excel98 on another WXP machine without
problem.

No other programs seem to be affected, or I would think it is a
system/hardware problem.

Thanks.