Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] andrewdgold@gmail.com is offline

Default Help with Matching Text Fields - Then Moving the Matching Cells Side by Side

Thank you Dave,

These links which I have seen before (through my browsing of the
google groups) didn't seem to do "exactly" what I needed. However, I
did find a macro script that helped me. I tweaked it a bit to
highlight cells in both columns that have matching text. Afterwards I
created 2 new columns on both sides and put in a formula to tell me
the color code of the cell background (eg. whether it is highlighted
yellow or just plain white - meaning no match). Then I sorted the
data by color code and I was able to segregate exact matches from the
ones I would have to match up manually. Although I didn't completely
solve my problem...I fixed almost half of the entries in little time
which does a lot for me.

If anyone else has this problem, you can email me at
.

On Jun 8, 11:46 am, Dave Peterson wrote:
You may be able to do something with =index(match()) or =vlookup().

Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes on =vlookup() and =index(match()) he
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
andhttp://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match()))

I've never seen a partial match work close enough to help. I'd do my best to
match up the exact matches and then a manual effort for the mismatches.

You may also want to look at some of the techniques that Chip Pearson uses:http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

wrote:

I have anexcelissue that if someone could help me figure out, would
save a lot of time.

Here is the situation: I currently have 2 databases exported together
intoexcelside by side. On the left side there is database 1 - a
huge column of company names (column A) with their account #s in an
adjacent column (B). On the right side of the worksheet there is
database 2 - a huge column of the same company names (however some of
these names have been named a bit differently than the first DB....yet
still the same companies are all there - column C) along with other
columns that deal with important information concerning each company
(columns D-H).

This is what I need to do....I need to go through the list of DB 2 and
find their corresponding company name + account # from the two DB 1
columns (I hope that made sense). In order to do this manually...I will
have to scroll down DB 1 looking for the right co name that is similar
to the one I ammatchingin DB 2. Once I have found a match
somewhere, I need to cut 2 cells (co. name and account # from DB 1)
then insert them side by side the similar account name in DB 2 so it
all lines up. So ultimately....I should havematchingaccount names
with their account #s and other info sitting side by side instead of
all over the place.

Now this is what I wantExcelto be able to do: perhaps I can create
a macro that will allow me to search for "part" of the co. name
(unique identifier) in the DB 1 column, then it will hopefully grab
the correct cell along with its adjacent account # cell...cut them
both and paste them above the cell selected...so in the end I will have
the correct DB1 account # and name next to its DB2 data and all I
would have had to do this whole time was select the right cell to
paste it into and search under a certain name criteria. I understand
this wouldn't work 100% of the time (in which case I would have to
take those few and manually do them), but it would save a person A LOT
of time in the searching, cutting, and pasting routines. - I am not
sure if this is more of an Access query problem, but it would be
better if it could be solved inExcel.

Please let me know if anyone can help

--

Dave Peterson- Hide quotedtext-