Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Computer geek Computer geek is offline

Default Help with function

On Jun 7, 12:08 pm, "Ron Coderre"
wrote:
Try this:

=LEFT(A1,12-(MID(A1,12,1)="-"))
OR
=LEFT(A1,12-(RIGHT(A1,1)="-"))

Does that help?
----------------------
Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Computer geek" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hey Guys and Gals,

I need a little help with a function. I need to evaluate a cell and
determine if the 12 character is a "-" (dash). And if it is a dash I
need to strip it and if its not a dash I need to leave it alone. By
the way the 12th character is the last character so its 12th from the
left or 1st from the right. Seems to me I need to somehow nest a
certain function inside an IF function. Please help.- Hide quoted text -

WOW thanks... I used the first one and it worked great. I still dont
understand how it worked though. I'm getting stumped on the 12-mid()