Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JE McGimpsey JE McGimpsey is offline

Default Lookup based on two fields without merging?

One way (array-entered: CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER or CMD-RETURN):

=INDEX(C1:C200,MATCH(J1&K1,A1:A200&B1:B200,FALSE))

In article .com,
" wrote:

I have a table with 3 columns (employee's last name, first name, and
ID). Last names can be duplicated

Smith John td232
Smith Mary xk543
Smith Steve aa213

Can someone suggest a formula that I can look up based on the last
name and first name to return the ID?

I know I can create a new column that would merge the last name and
firstname to create a "lookup" key, but I'm trying to see if there's a
way to do the lookup with out using this technique.

Since the ID contains letters, a SUMPRODUCT doesn't work (or I can't
figure out the syntax).

Any ideas?!

Thanks!

John