Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Maintaining Number Formats from Excel to CSV File Conversions

Laura,

I would check again your answer to Nick, if I were you. I'm pretty sure
that you'll find it's the same situation that Dave described. If you look
at the CSV file with Notepad, or any other text editor, I expect you'll see
the data in the format you had originally. The only problem is if you use
Excel to read the CSV. If you rename the .csv file to .txt, then you can
allow Excel to treat each column as text, and not reformat it. Hopefully
your DOS program won't reformat the data when it reads it from the CSV.

Your reply to Dave suggests that you've used Notepad to save the file again.
You don't need to do that, as the file content is already OK. If you've
seen any effect, it is probably that you've saved as .txt rather than .csv,
and thus affected how Excel treats the data when it reads it back in, but
the content of the file should be the same.
--
David Biddulph

"laura1027 via OfficeKB.com" <u34668@uwe wrote in message
Nick, text formatting the colums do not work. The ending zeros still
disappear when converting the excel file to CSV format.

Dave, saving the file to notepad works in so far as the ending zeros do
not
disappear and remain when converting to notepad. However, I have to find
out
if the notepad format is the correct format for downloading into the DOS
program. I do not do this part, my current employer, who created the order
entry DOS program that he uses for his business, does the downloading. I
will see if it works tomorrow.

Thank-You both for your help.

Laura