Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default Why do the preceding zeros disappear when I remove dashes?

It changes it to a number in which leading zeroes are suppressed.

Try formatting as '000000000'. It may lose them in the export, but try it
and see.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"carridin1" wrote in message
I work with spreadsheets that contain list of numbers separated by dashes,
such as 001-117-251. I then have to copy these numbers into a software
program that will not accept dashes, so I would like to remove them using
the
Find and Replace feature in Excel. However, when I do this any zeros at
the
beginning of the number vanish, and I end up with something like this:
1117251. How do I prevent the zeros from vanishing?