Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MJP[_2_] MJP[_2_] is offline

Default DCOUNT problem with numbers stored as text

Lori,

Changing my criteria to <11* seemed to work as well at first glance.
What exactly is that doing? If I have data values such as 111, or
11A, etc in my code column is it going to filter them out as well?

Thanks.

On Jun 4, 12:01 pm, Lori wrote:
Interesting problem. To force a text comparison, you could try using
two criteria:

Code
<11*
11?*

Repeat any other criteria on the second line and also make sure to use
DCOUNTA for text values. Alternatively use a calculated criteria e.g.
=A2<"11" although it will run slower.

On 4 Jun, 16:26, MJP wrote:

I don't think SUMPRODUCT will accomplish what I'm looking for.

Maybe I oversimplified my problem. There are many other columns in my
raw data worksheet. My DCOUNT functions use many of these columns in
order to get a count of the rows that fall under its criteria.

For example the criteria might be:

Month
=8

Code
<11

Code
<K5

Sex
=M

All parts of the criteria seem to work except it is not filtering out
the rows where the Code column equals 11 stored as text. It works if
I format such cells as numeric, but again this is not an option when I
am programatically populating the raw data.

Thanks.

On Jun 4, 11:10 am, "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

You can use sumproduct instead

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Range<"11"))

Peo Sjoblom

"MJP" wrote in message

oups.com...

I have a raw data worksheet that I populate using the OLEDB Jet
provider. Other worksheets reference the raw data and contain
functions to perform various counts of the data.

One column in the raw data contains both textual values (i.e. "K5")
and numeric values (ie. 11). Because I am using the Jet provider, the
only way I have found to avoid data format errors on import is to pre-
format the column as General or Text. So, the values such as 11 are
actually numbers stored as text (I look in the function bar and see
the value prepended with an apostrophe: '11).

One of the other worksheets references this column in a DCOUNT
function and is looking for a count where this column is not equal to
11. (<11). However it's not filtering out the values of 11 because
they are numbers formatted as text. I have seemingly tried everything
to try and do a string comparison but no luck. <"11", <'11, etc
nothing works.

How can I get this function to work properly on numbers stored as text
without having to change the format of the raw cells to text (doesn't
seem to be an option with columns of mixed types using the Jet
provider)?

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -