Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
PA PA is offline

Default Upgrade to 2007

Thank you very much, a lot to think about,
especially "The first question you should ask yourself is what does 2002
not do that you need it to do, then check if 2007 does do it"

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

The first question you should ask yourself is what does 2002 not do that you
need it to do, then check if 2007 does do it.

Then take a look at the 2007 spec and see if there is anything that it does
that you hadn't thought of and would be useful,

Read some reviews to get an idea of what the learning curve is (I think it
is not trivial). I have seen a list of the top 10 benefits of Office 2007 as

1. Office Excel 2007 features a new user interface to help you find powerful
tools when you need them
2. Import, organise, and explore massive data sets within significantly
expanded spreadsheets
3. Use the completely redesigned charting engine in Office Excel 2007 to
communicate your analysis in professional-looking charts
4. Enjoy improved and powerful support for working with tables
5. Create and work with interactive PivotTable views with ease
6. "See" important trends and find exceptions in your data
7. Use Office Excel 2007 and Excel Services to help share spreadsheets more
securely with others
8. Remove tracked changes, comments, and hidden text from your documents
9. Reduce the size of spreadsheets and improve damaged file recovery at the
same time
10. Extend your business intelligence investments because Office Excel 2007
provides full support for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services

There are some great improvements, but there are downsides as well, such

1. It is so different it will take a considerable effort to get used to,
some functions don't work as they did (or just don't work now), and it often
takes more click to do something than it did before

3. Jon Peltier has said that ... The new chart formatting is certainly nice,
but the new user interface is awkward.

So weigh up the pros and cons and then decide.--
HTH

Bob

"PA" wrote in message
We have been using Office 2002 for 4 years, with approxiately 6000 users,
have a large selection of macros used by many of our users.
The question we are interested in is how much difficulty will be
experienced
with Excel if we upgrade Office to version 2007.
Thanks