Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Sorting errs

I think you still have some numbers which are really text values. Try
this formula in a blank cell somewhe

=COUNT(A1:A30000)

assuming your numbers are in column A, and then try this formula:

=COUNTA(A1:A30000)

Do you get the same answer for both formulae?

If not, then you have some text values. Try this in a helper column:

=VALUE(A1)

and copy down. Apply your sort using this field as the sort key.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jun 2, 12:47 am, SG wrote:
Hello there,

I am having an issue with Sorting my data list.

I am having a list/ range which I would like to sort.
Whether I use the standard "sort ascending" button or I use
Data|Filter|autofilter instead (sort ascending) ... somehow my data
does not get sorted ascendingly.
It looks like, 1,1,1,1,5,5,5,5,57,7,1,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,12,....etc etc

I have a column labelled "Month" ... in which there appear only the
nrs from 1-12.
OK, it is some imported data from an Essbase system ... but I coerced
the data into real numbers by multiplying them with 1, as I though
tthat this could be the cause of teh problem.
Helas :(

OK, the data is like 30.000 rows long.
But hey, If I sort ascendingly or descendingly for that matter, on
some otehr fields it works!
I would think that sorting on numbers would be the easiest for excel,
but it does not seem to be true.

Anyone an idea why it bugs ? How to overcome it ?
Thanks in advance,
Jen