Vasant Nanavati

Something like:

=RANK(B2,B$2:B$11,1)+(COUNTIF(B$2:B$11,B2)*(COUNTI F(B$2:B$11,B2)-1)/2)/COUNT
IF(B$2:B$11,B2)

--

Vasant

"Don" wrote in message
I believe a need a slighly modifed version of the RANK
function.

Here is the scenario....

I have three columns A,B,C with Name, Score and Points.
Points given are based upon ranking. So, if you have the
highest score, you get the most amount of points. The
rank formula in the first relevant row is =RANK
(B2,$b$2:$b$11,1). This works nicely unless there is a
TIE in a score.

If there are 4 participants and a tie for second, the
resulting points(rankings) would be 4, 2, 2, 1. This is
not what I want. I want to distribute all the points
amongst all the tied players, so that each player in this
scenario would receive 2.5 points. I hope I am making
sense here.

There are also two things to keep in mind
(1) The scores will not necessarily be sorted, because
there are many categories to score
(2) Although unlikely, there could be more than two teams
tied, so points might need to be divided amongst three or
more teams.

Thanks for any insight anyone mihgt be able to provide....

Thanks,
Don