JE McGimpsey

You probably put the function in the worksheet or workbook code module.
Functions should normally go into regular code modules (choose
Insert/Module in the Visual Basic Editor).

If you want to leave the function in the worksheet code module, you'll
need to qualify the function call:

=Sheet1.CONVERT(A1)

Note that Convert is also the name of a function in the Analysis Toolpak
Add-in.

In article ,
Riko Wichmann wrote:

Dear all,

this must be a common problem, and I thought I found the solution, but
it doesn't work ... I'm probably missing something very simple.

I want to execute a simple VB function in one cell, taking another cell
as Parameter. Both, parameter cell and function result are strings. For
example:

A1: "this is content of cell A1"
A2: =Convert(A1)

and Convert is a VB function

Function Convert(content As string) as String

' do something depending on content
Convert = "result-string"
End Function

However, I always get a #NAME? Error in cell A2.

The idea is of course, that I don't want to explicitly execute a macro
by hand, but have something similar to A2 = A1*2, just for a function all.

How do I do this kind of exercise properly?

Thanks a lot,

Riko