Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
prizm prizm is offline

Default Formatting different zip code types within a column

Never mind! I wrote the formula wrong! Thanks! That was perfect and easy!

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Try a custom format.

Format|Cells|Number tab|Custom category
[99999]00000-0000;00000

prizm wrote:

In Excel, with the .csv file extension, we have a column of zip codes that
are set up differently for each record. For an example, we will have 6037,
60371022 and 25463. If we highlight the whole column and select "zipcode",
the 6037 becomes 06037 (like it should), the 25463 stays the same, but the
60371022 doesn't get the leading zero. If we use the zip plus 4, then the
6037 becomes 06037-0000 which is also incorrect. Is there a way to format
all three types at the same time without doing too much manual manipulation?
Please advise. Thanks

--

Dave Peterson